A Day in the Life of Dave
You could fill countless shelves with all the hats Dave Plunkett wears as a president at ITS Design Group. From engineering low-voltage systems and infrastructure to overseeing our internal team (alongside Dave Chaney), running point on business development, and managing projects and subconsultants, Dave is always busy doing whatever it takes to keep our clients happy and our business running smoothly.
After attending trade school to learn the ins and outs of telecommunications, Dave worked his way up the ladder through a tremendous amount of passion, hard work and perseverance. His numerous accomplishments include earning the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) designation from Building Industry Consulting Services International (BICSI).
In his more than two decades of experience in the communications industry, Dave has had the opportunity to serve in numerous design, engineering and project management roles with a variety of architectural design firms. Building on this experience, he founded ITS Design Group with Dave Chaney in 2014.
Did You Know?
• Dave isn’t just a telecommunications whiz — in his free time, he also restores motorcycles.
• One of Dave’s favorite pastimes is boating.
• Dave and his wife, Danielle, are proud pet parents of two rescued pit bull mix dogs named Harlow and Finn.
A Day in the Life of Dave
Dave Chaney is a big believer in team building and collaboration and has carried this believe into his semi-retirement. Dave continues to work with new hires to carry on his legacy and spread his knowledge to the next generation of employees. Dave continues to stay on top of the industry’s ever-evolving technological changes and is one of the best resources for getting the latest info on developing technologies.
Prior to founding ITS Design Group with Dave Plunkett, Dave served as an electronics engineer in the defense industry and as principal engineer and lead IT designer for the Walt Disney Company. As a member of the Walt Disney Imagineering team, he played a key role in designing the technology spaces for the Shanghai Disney Resort.
With more than three decades of low-voltage industry experience, Dave is also a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), holds the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) designation from Building Industry Consulting Services International (BICSI).
Did You Know?
• Dave enjoys spending time with his wife Gayle, his family, and his dog.
• Like the technologies he specializes in, Dave’s hobbies and interests change constantly.
• Some of Dave’s favorite things to do (at least for today) include traveling, bicycling, exploring the beach in his side by side, and enjoying a good meal.
A Day in the Life of Danielle
At ITS Design Group, our talented team is the key to our success, and as director of human resources, Danielle Plunkett sees to it that everyone is happy, healthy and engaged. But that’s far from all she does — Danielle also spearheads monthly billing, manages our accounts payable and accounts receivable, reviews and formats proposals, and oversees event planning. In case you couldn’t guess, she’s no stranger to multitasking.
When Danielle’s husband, Dave Plunkett, founded ITS Design Group with Dave Chaney, Danielle — who has more than three decades of experience in human resources — volunteered to help them put together an employee handbook and employment application. Little did she know she’d soon become the company’s first official employee.
Before her current role at ITS Design Group, Danielle was a vice president of employee relations in the banking industry. In that role, she counseled management regarding company policies, coaching and counseling procedures, disciplinary action, and conflict resolution, and collaborated with senior executives to resolve workplace issues and minimize legal risks. Her extensive experience includes work with Countrywide, Bank of America, Santa Barbara Bank & Trust and Union Bank.
Did You Know?
• Danielle organizes the annual Stand Up For Pits Foundation’s Spay and Neuter Angel Day held on April 2. As the Lead Volunteer, Danielle manages a budget of over $150,000 while having 1600 pit bull type dogs spayed and neutered across the United States. This initiative is entirely funded by the Stand Up For Pits Foundation as a way to end shelter overcrowding and unnecessary deaths.
• Danielle and Dave are dedicated supporters of Stand Up For Pits and if you aren’t familiar with Angel or the SUFP Foundation please take a moment to go to standupforpits.us and learn about what they do.
• Danielle and Dave love taking their boat out as often as possible, especially to Lake Tahoe; Parker and Lake Havasu, Arizona.
A Day in the Life of Julian
As ITS Design Group’s CAD/Revit design specialist, Julian Duran is responsible for turning general concepts and goals into tangible plans. Leveraging his skill with engineering and consulting tools such as AutoCAD and Revit — along with his extensive knowledge of technology space planning, design and drafting — Julian helps bring our clients’ visions into reality.
Prior to joining our team, Julian was a CAD/BIM manager for an IT consulting company. In that position, he had the opportunity to play a role in numerous high-profile projects, including the Wilshire Grand Center, Loyola Marymount University School of Film and Television, IMAX World Headquarters and Walt Disney Animation Studios remodel. He also worked on the Southern California Gas Company Tower project, which involved the refresh and replacement of a network and phone system with more than 4,000 devices and the design and implementation of telepresence and a network data center.
Julian holds an Associate of Applied Science degree in computer-aided drafting (CAD) technology and brings nearly three decades of experience to his role at ITS Design Group.
Did You Know?
• When he’s not at work, one of Julian’s favorite things to do is camp with his family.
• Julian and his wife, Rita, can often be found at comedy clubs (in the audience, not on stage … for now).
• Once a year, Julian and his family travel cross country to visit relatives.
A Day in the Life of Shane
There’s no technology challenge too extreme for Shane Thompson. As ITS Design Group’s senior technology design engineer, Shane works closely with our clients to map out a variety of technology systems, including voice, data, structured cabling, audiovisual, security access control, intrusion detection and other low-voltage systems. In addition to strategizing the system design and creating blueprints, Shane serves as an on-site liaison during construction to ensure everything goes according to plan.
Before he joined the ITS Design Group team, Shane served as a telecommunications designer for the UCLA Health System, where he oversaw a $30 million low-voltage construction project for UCLA Santa Monica Orthopedic Hospital and administered a $1.5 million infrastructure budget that included a rollout of electronic medical records for 232 clinics. Shane also lent his expertise as a point of contact between owners, contractors, and architecture and engineering firms for the McCarran International Airport construction project encompassing Terminal 3, the tram system and the parking garage.
In addition to completing the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) apprenticeship program, Shane currently holds the Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) designation from Building Industry Consulting Services International (BICSI).
Did You Know?
• In his free time, Shane enjoys going off-roading and camping with his wife, Nina, and two kids.
• A classic car fan, Shane has a 1964 ½ Mustang convertible, 1967 Pontiac GTO and 1970 Torino GT.
• Shane’s family has an amazing garden, complete with a stone pizza oven.
A Day in the Life of Carlos
You know that really smart guy that always seems to be getting smarter? That’s Carlos. In his daily work, he is responsible for turning concept design ideas into construction plans — and there has yet to be a challenge too great for his expertise. Leveraging his knowledge of building information modeling (BIM), he uses software programs like AutoCAD and REVIT to develop and implement plans that adhere to industry best practices and achieve our clients’ goals. An innovator by nature, his work continuously reaches new heights with every project he completes.
Carlos brings 20 years of experience in the low-voltage industry to his role at ITS Design Group. He has developed expertise in consulting, project management, design, CAD/BIM modeling and drafting through his roles as a CAD/BIM manager, MEP designer in the multidiscipline industry and telecommunications consulting engineer.
He holds an associate’s degree in computer-aided drafting (CAD) technology, and he is a Registered Autodesk AutoCAD Certified Professional. He has also earned Autodesk MEP AOTC Certification.
Did You Know?
• A major sports fan, Carlos can be found watching everything from Formula DRIFT and NASCAR races to WWE wrestling, baseball and basketball.
• Carlos volunteers his time developing internet cybercafés for the less fortunate in El Salvador.
• In his free time, Carlos enjoys being with his family, whether it’s a camping trip, a movie night at home, or a visit to a theme park or concert.
A Day in the Life of Bryan
As a technology design engineer, Bryan’s role at ITS Design is always evolving — basically, he does whatever it takes to make our clients’ wildest dreams a reality. He is the brains behind the concept, his knowledge of technology infrastructure applied to the parameters of each unique project initiative has been proven to efficiently and effectively accomplish those requirements and exceed all expectations.
Bryan has held a variety of roles in the tech industry, ranging from project development to presales design and engineering. He even owned his own electrical contracting business. In his most recent role before ITS Design, he was a project development engineer, responsible for preconstruction multi-systems design and integration and low-voltage technology development in markets such health care, government, municipalities, education and business.
Previous to that, he has championed roles in presales engineering and development for multiple telecommunications service providers, similar industry vendors, and engineering consultants. Bryan holds bachelor’s degrees in information systems and electronic engineering. He also has several vendor certifications and an electrical contracting license.
Did You Know?
• When he was very young, Bryan tried his hand at acting and has even been an extra on television shows.
• Bryan has one stripe on his blue belt in jiu-jitsu, and has practiced martial arts for many years.
• At one point, Bryan almost played professional soccer, and he now coaches his daughter’s soccer team.
A Day in the Life of Amber
Amber is the living, breathing definition of “one step ahead.” Proactive by nature, she is always there to lend a helping hand before you even know you need her assistance. In her day-to-day work, she manages calendars based on priorities, prepares for meetings and creates agendas, tracks time for projects, monitors deliverable timelines, completes event registration, oversees travel arrangements, and assists in correspondence between team members. Calling her busy would be an understatement, but she handles it all with a positive attitude and a friendly smile.
Before she joined the ITS Design team, Amber founded and ran a nonprofit organization called My Kaleidoscope Project, which guides and supports tween girls through a variety of classes, workshops and camps as they navigate their middle school years.
Driven by intention, purpose and love, Amber took on everything from obtaining nonprofit status, speaking at schools and navigating logistics to communicating with schools and communities, researching and receiving grants, writing curriculum, and completing a workbook.
Did You Know?
• Amber enjoys the outdoors and can often be found biking, hiking, running, camping, exploring or relaxing by the ocean.
• No matter what she’s doing, Amber always looks for ways to help and serve others.
• Amber loves spending time with her daughter, Ella, and her dog, Presley.